It’s 2015 and technology follows us everywhere and knows so much about our lives it can deliver super-precise individually targeted ads, right?
Not quite. Here is an unscientific sample of ads the internet has displayed to me in the past week or so.
- I do love avocados but really I was going to buy them anyway.
2. This salad is missing avocado! I do eat a lot of salad in spring though!
3. Yes you have correctly identified that I google financial terms on my work computer.
4. I love Grill’d but I do not love horse racing.
6. I haven’t been a student for 4+ years.
7. I graduated four and a bit years ago and I have a job.
8. True, but I mainly wear stockings instead.
9. Wasn’t thinking about it?
10. I must not be a modern fundraiser because I did not know what this was. I looked at their website in the name of research and it appears to be software for non-profits.
11. I have a MasterCard.
12. I don’t drink alcohol.
13. I don’t drink coffee or watch soccer.
14. I haven’t worn make-up for almost a decade.
17. Gambling is like putting money in the bin except depending on where you gamble the bin might belong to James Packer and he is already a billionaire so why are you giving him more money?
18. This is an actual ad. I am not making this up.